Re: Adam and Recognizing the Creator...

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 20:07:58 -0800

At 10:25 AM 11/20/98 -0700, John W Burgeson wrote:
>Glenn wrote:
>
>"Mankind (hominids) were doing some very, very human things a long time
>ago.
>Someone cared for a very, very sick lady 1.6 million years ago. She KNM
>1808)had hypervitaminosis A which causes the muscles to rip away from the
>bones. ... That is human concern, not chimp treatment."
>
>Glenn -- read the book WHEN ELEPHANTS WEEP. The authors document such
>type of behavior in non-humans. Not, I grant you, in chimps. But
>definitely in other (lower) forms of life.
>
>To call such things "human" is correct. To call such things "only human"
>is not correct.

I have read when Elephants Weep (at your suggestion a while ago) I didn't
find it very convincing. Elphants don't care for their sick like humans do
because they are unable to deliver food and water to the sick elephant.
Humans are able to bring the food and water.

And contrary to some statements elephants do not actually bury their dead.
They will cover carcasses with branches etc but they do this for humans
they have killed, rhinoceras's and other elephants. But they don't always
do it; it is a rarely observed behavior.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood