Re: Descendants and Thomas Trap

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 20:33:23 -0800

Hi George,

At 07:49 AM 11/20/98 -0500, George Murphy wrote:

> It's clear from all you've said in previous discussions that you feel
>that the type of truth conveyed by scientific statements is superior to
that >conveyed by parables, theological statements, and poetry. The
implication >has been that if Genesis isn't truth in the first sense, it's
worthless - as >below. If that's not what you believe, I'm happy to be
corrected. This could >make your apologetic efforts much more effective if
applied properly.

I do think that objective, observable truth is superior to subjective,
non-falsifiable beliefs. On this charge I stand gladly guilty. But to show
you that I believe that parables can relay truth I will write one for the
group. Lets consider this:

Lets say you are late for an absolutely ultimatley important engagement.
You simply can't miss it. You are running late. You go to your car and
find that it won't run. Not having time to call a cab, you run down the
street to the used car lot and tell the guy you want the cheapest car that
runs that he has. (whatever this engagement is (a relative's wedding
perhaps) is worth a lot of money to you to get there.)

The salesman says "Yes I have a car that is great. It will take you
anywhere you want to go. When you sit in it, you and the machine will form
a bond, a unit that acts as both man and machine. It will be a superb
driving experience. An experience without comparison or equal anywhere in
the world. "
"Quick, how much?" you demand.
"$500" the saleman responds
You pay the $500, get the key and run out to the car. Inserting the key
into the ignition, you find that the car won't run. As you go back into
the dealer's office you notice how slimey he is; his greased back hair
shines in the artificial fluorescent lighting fitting nicely with the
checkerboard suit with large lapels.

"I thought you said this car could take me wherever I wanted to go?" you ask.
"Sure it can. It can take you to the far reaches of the solar system" he