Re: Question for John McKiness

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 21:38:36 -0500

At 08:06 PM 6/27/98 -0500, John P. McKiness wrote:
>(I have never met or read the writings of anyone who has left the faith
>because of what they were taught in biology or geology.
. . .
>I would really enjoy talking to anyone who truelly has
>left the faith because of what they were taught about Earth history or
>evolution. Notice that even Glenn, who has said repeatedly that he was to
>the point of becoming an atheist because he took geological data seriously,
>didn't; I submit that his faith must be grounded on something beside human
>logic and science.)

First I would point you to Jim Lippard's testimony, From Fundamentalism to
Open-ended Atheism" in Edward Babinski, ed. Leaving the Fold, (Prometheus,
1994), p. 321-327

I have corresponded with Jim and the area of creationism was a large part
of his decision to leave Christianity. He writes:

"A second, related event wast hat I tried to argue with some friends that
creationism was true and evolution was false, based mainly on what I had
read in Eads's book (and the lack of good counterarguments in our high
school biology text). I was surprised to find that they were not easily
swayed. instead, they offered objections that I was unable to answer." p. 323

I would also point you to my web page

http://www.isource.net/~grmorton/whocares.htm

where I posted a number of testimonials like that.

>At this point I do not even know why I am on this list,
>as all I seem to do is disagree with everyone

I get to disagree a lot also so don't be discouraged. Stick around.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood