Re: Giving too much credit to the devil

John P. McKiness (jmckines@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 21:05:57 -0500

At 04:30 AM 6/14/98 -0700, Peter Novak wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>> By relegating science and culture to the realm of the
>unChristian, you have given the devil more than his due. Why
>can't cultural things, including science and its data, be gifts
>of God?
>
>John responded:
>> I see no evidence, scriptural or otherwise, that science and
>culture are not just human inventions. ...I do not see the stamp
>of God through Christ redeeming human culture or knowledge of the
>physical universe. ...we are sent to...provide for the weak and
>poor.
>

> What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for
> us, then who can be against us? He who did not spare His
> only Son, but gave Him up for us all -- how will He not
> also, along with Him, graciously give us ALL THINGS?
> - Romans 8:31-32

He gives rain to the righteous and the unrighteous alike also.

> To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are
> corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure.
> - Titus 1:15

My faith in Christ is based on His revelation not human reason. He is pure,
I am only pure in the Father's sight when He views me through Jesus. Only
when God views human reasoning through Jesus Christ can it be pure also.

> Everything is permissible - but not everything is
> constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good
> of others. ...for the earth is the Lord's and everything in
> it.
> - 1 Corinthians 10:23-26

So seek the good for others by the way you apply science, your reasoning,
and your wealth.

> On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you
> are in me, and I am in you.
> - John 14:20

I do not see the point of this verse in this setting.

>I have always believed that science IS God in man helping man.
>How many thousands of millions have lived longer, happier,
>healthier, more informed lives thanks to science? Science heals
>our sick through medicine, and publishes Christianity to us through
>print, the airwaves, and now even the Internet.

I doubt very much that God wants to encourage us in our grasping for
knowledge, wasn't that what the first sin and Babel were all about. God may
use us and our things to accomplish what he wants done, but we sure do it
reluctantly.

> blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy
> are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good
> news is preached to the poor. Blessed is the man who does
> not fall away on account of me.
> - Luke 6:22-23

The blind did not receive their sight, or the lame walk, nor were the lepers
cured, the deaf regained their hearing, or the dead raised by human science
or reasoning in this case. This is Christ's testimony to John of who He
was, He did these things because of their faith and as a sign of His
authority to those around Him. Blessed is the man who human reasoning
doesn't lead away from Christ.

>As in Christ's time, all this is happening again today. And what
>is this if not Christ, working through Man, for Man?
>Does the devil do the Lord's work?

Yes, if God needs him to do His work, the devil has no choice.

> How can Satan drive out Satan? If a kingdom is divided
> against itself, that kingdom will not stand....And if Satan
> opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end is
> come.
> - Mark 3:23-26
>
>- Peter Novak

I agree with your last, what is the point. Apart from Christ, we are in
Satan's kingdom and we work for him.

John