RE: Sumer under water?

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 18:14:18 -0500

At 05:18 PM 6/24/98 -0400, Vandergraaf, Chuck wrote:
>>From what I recall, land that is reclaimed from the sea is usually planted
>with some salt-tolerant grasses. Sheep seem to tolerate these grasses and,
>along the North coast of Fryslan in the Netherlands, one commonly finds
>sheep grazing on this type of land. I'm not sure it would take only "a few
>years' worth of rain" in Iraq to remove the salt; I thought the climate was
>a rather arid in that region and there would probably not be much of a
>gradient in that area.

Even if a few years meant 200, that is hardly any time at all compared to
the 6800 years till today. And you are correct about the salt tolerant
grasses in the Netherlands. this is the difference between the Netherlands
and the case I was mentally imagining when I wrote. If you were to
suddenly uplift land out of the sea, in an area with rainfall it would
leach the salts. The less rain, the longer the time. The Netherlands are
reclaiming the ocean botton which is below sealevel and you are correct
that it requires more salt tolerant organisms. Because the Netherlands is
below sea level, the normal drainage of rain water can't carry the salts
away as occurs above sealevel. My recollection (but no documentation) is
that the Dutch have big pumps to keep the Zuider Zee drained.

But even if
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood