Re: GR or QED?

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 20:53:55 -0500

At 02:58 PM 4/29/98 -0400, George Murphy wrote:
> While there is nothing wrong with noting the high precision of
>such experiments, it can be a little misleading in the context of
>anthropic principles because it suggests that the universe must have
>been fine tuned to this precision in order for intelligent life to
>develop & that isn't the case.

I do know that Ross holds that the critical expansion (based upon the
inflationary view) must be correct to within 1 part in 10^-55 or life
couldn't exist.

He says, "How critical is this expansion rate? According to Alan Guth, it
must be fine-tuned to an accuracy of one part in 10^55." Fingerprint of
God, p. 124

What could I learn from you about this claim? As I understand it, there is
now some significant doubt about the inflationary universe, given the
evidence for the cosmological constant. While this may not have entirely
won the day, is Ross' claim correct? Would it contradict your assertion
above?
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood