Re: What does ID mean?

Steven Schimmrich (schimmrich@earthlink.net)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:11:19 -0400

At 03:22 PM 4/15/98 -0500, Paul Nelson wrote:

>God does whatever He pleases. But as I have been taught evolution, and
>as the theory is presented in textbooks and the scientific literature,
>it is *grounded in* methodological naturalism. Thus the theory's
>philosophical implications are not, in fact, "extrapolations," but are
>embedded in its very foundation.

As someone who teaches evolution in a paleontological context, I find
your statement odd. Isn't ALL of science education grounded in methodological
naturalism? Why pick on evolution? Well, honestly, we know why... It's because
it conflicts with your understanding of Scripture while other branches of
science may not (although for young-earth creationists, I suppose most areas
of science would be suspect).

>I've had close variants of this conversation with many evolutionary
>biologists. Not one who assured me that evolution and Christianity were
>compatible was himself a Christian. Isn't it telling that many of the
>prominent scientists and educators who assure Christians that
>they need not choose between "evolution" and their faith are not
>themselves Christians, or even theists, but philosophical naturalists?

You haven't spoken to a lot of Christians in science then. Want a list of
names?

- Steve.

--   Steven H. Schimmrich   Physical Sciences Department      schimmri@kutztown.edu (office)   Kutztown University               schimmrich@earthlink.net (home)   217 Grim Science Building         610-683-4437, 610-683-1352 (fax)   Kutztown, Pennsylvania 19530      http://home.earthlink.net/~schimmrich/