Re: What does ID mean?

Steven Schimmrich (schimmrich@earthlink.net)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:04:59 -0400

At 12:23 PM 4/15/98 -0600, Allan Harvey wrote, in part, that:

>Since nobody from the ID movement has answered this, let me offer
>something given by one of its proponents last year. In February 1997,
>Paul Nelson addressed the Rocky Mountain ASA section. He offered a
>two-part definition of what the ID movement was about. While I can't
>find my notes, I believe it was essentially the following (Paul, please
>correct me if I misquoted you):
>A) Living things bear the marks of intelligent design.
>B) These marks are scientifically detectable.

A big problem I have with ID is that it seems so subjective. It's like Supreme
Court Justice Potter Stewart's infamous statement about pornography -- he couldn't
offer a definition but stated "I know it when I see it". It seems to me that ID
folks expect us to know "marks of intelligent design" when we see them but I
certainly don't think they're quite so self-evident.

- Steve.

--   Steven H. Schimmrich   Physical Sciences Department      schimmri@kutztown.edu (office)   Kutztown University               schimmrich@earthlink.net (home)   217 Grim Science Building         610-683-4437, 610-683-1352 (fax)   Kutztown, Pennsylvania 19530      http://home.earthlink.net/~schimmrich/