Re: RFEP: response to Will

Wendee Holtcamp (wendee1@gte.net)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 07:28:39 -0500

Will Provine wrote:

>What I still do not understand is why the existence of plants and animals,
etc.
>requires anything other than the grinding away of nature, which you and I can
>investigate and come out with the same conclusions using the same methods.
But
>you would know that something else was working (not from the evidence alone,
>but from other source) that somehow would make evolution different than I see
>it? From the evidence alone, I cannot detect the God. On organic
evolution, you
>agree with Keith Miller. And you will understand why I think your God is a
>paper-tiger in evolution, and indeed since the origin of the universe.

What exactly is a "paper tiger"? As far as I see it, the origin of novel
structures (feathers, etc) and their rapid proliferation thereafter *could*
be explained chance & random mutation, but it's highly improbable, when
you take into account the overwhelming diversity of life on our planet -
and all the species' various modifications (plus some 99% of all life forms
to have existed have gone extinct).

If God were detectable by scientific means, then people would be "forced"
to believe. (well, some obviously could & would reject him), but they'd
have no "excuse." God purposely gives each man or woman free will, and to
the person who seeks the truth with an honest and open heart, He gives real
answers. But - at least I believe - God could operate no other way. His
"miracles" must seem "natural" yet fortuitous, and its up to us to interpet
them as the hand of God or "chance."

>What I still do not understand is why the existence of plants and animals,
etc.
>requires anything other than the grinding away of nature, which you and I can
>investigate and come out with the same conclusions using the same methods.
But

I personally could believe that the existence of myriad plants and animals
*could* possibly have evolved by chance alone, given that God got the whole
thing started. But I couldn't explain or understand the "evolution" of
humans without God's hand. We are just too different from every other
animal, and you can't deny this. Even if we attribute much more
intelligence to animals than most scientists will allow and even attribute
"feelings" to them (as I believe higher forms have), we're the only
creature that trusts our own creations more than we trust nature's
provisions/God's. We wear clothes, build houses, create plastics, have
modern medicine, read books and magazines, on & on.

Very few who have experienced simple living will deny that the "riches" of
our modern world can be a true curse. The pull of luxury is overwhelming,
yet it brings but more despair, a continual longing for more. A lady in our
church told a story of a missionary who went to a village in Mexico and
ther the residents live in what we call "poverty" - no running water, huts,
no shoes on their feet, hard labor in the field...Yet one Mexican father
told the missionary "Don't ever pity us because we're poor. We feel so
blessed that God has provided roofs for our heads, healthy children, and
land to labor on." A beautiful statement of how the tenet of thankfulness
comes from true faith. If we're ever seeking to improve our lot in life, we
will never be satisfied or fulfilled. Only when we accept the blessings of
our current situation, whatever state of affairs that may be, will we find
true fulfillment. I believe this is a direct outward display of faith.

"Not only so, but we should rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that
suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character,
hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love
into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5: 3-4

Wendee
Wendee Holtcamp -- GREENDESIGN Communications
Environment/Nature/Adventure-Travel Writing
------> http://www.greendzn.com <------
List-Owner, Envwrite Writing Workshop
"subscribe envwrite Your Name" to listserv@greendzn.com