Re: Miracles?

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:10:57 -0600

John W Burgeson wrote:

> OK, Bill, it is "your opinion." But is there ANY grounds for it? Let us
> suppose,
> for sake of argument, that dowsing IS real and IS a supernatural event.
>
> On what grounds would you argue the event is caused by evil spirits?
> On what grounds would you argue the even[t] is caused by good spirits?

Dowsing is consistent with my understanding of the general workings of
Satan as I read Scripture, and inconsistent with the means/methods I see
God using. Dowsing would, IMO, be in the same class as "the magicians,
enchanters, astrologers, and diviners..." (Daniel 4:7) Also, when I was
startled as I felt "the pull" on the rods I was holding, I silently
prayed, "God, I don't understand what's going on, but if this is not
from you, then take it away." The dowsing effect left me, never to
return again.

> I can think of no particular argument for either one. To put it bluntly,
> if I was Satan, what would be my point of causation? If I was Gabriel,
> why would I do such a thing?

God might allow Satan to display this power to demonstrate to the
skeptics that there really is a supernatural world. I can see how Satan
uses demonic power to draw the prideful and power seekers away from
seeking God to fill the redemptive void He palces in our hearts: "Now
for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and
amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great,
and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and
exclaimed, "This man is the divine power known as the Great Power. They
followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his magic."
(Acts 8:9-11)

Bill