Miracles?

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 21:33:04 -0600

Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:41:39 +0000, William B. Provine wrote:

> I think you multiply your problems by saying, well, investigate miracles.
> If you do, and find a perfectly reasonable natural explanation, then you are up
> a creek.

Hi Will,

One miracle that can be investigated and has never been explained to my
satisfaction is dowsing. It's my opinion that dowsing is a miracle of
the world of darkness, but a supernatural effect nonetheless.

A word of warning: If I am correct about dowsing, then to engage in
dowsing is, in a sense, like dancing with the devil. The Bible tells us
that demons can get trememdous power over an individual, and I would
hate to think that anyone reading this decided to try to obtain
supernatural power only to find that they did so at the expense of their
freedom to exercise their free will. Since you don't believe in free
will, Will, then I guess that won't be a problem for you. :-)

I could relate several experiences I've had with dowsing, but for the
sake of brevity, let me just say that I've personally felt a "force"
move two brass L-rods in my hands one time. I was startled by the
movement and prayed silently (without moving my lips or doing anything
that would be outwardly visible): "God, I don't know what's going on,
but if this isn't from you, please take it away." I walked back and
forth over the same spot on the ground several times, but there was no
longer any force moving the rods.

There's at least one other member of this listserve who said he has also
"felt the force", but still believes there must be a natural explanation
although he doesn't know what the explanation would be.

The Jan/Feb, 1998, issue of "Skeptical Inquirer" had an article on
dowsing which said the natural explanations would include involuntary
movements of the hands, respiration, and "correcting for postural
stability. When such movements are magnified through an external
instrument, such as a dowsing rod, it can well appear that some
environmental force is being encountered."

Because I am naturally particular in attention to detail, and because I
personally had the experience I described, I can eliminate all of the
"natural" explanations offered in the article. But I don't expect you
to take my word for it, Will. Why don't you locate a dowser in your
area and see for yourself. If you don't know of any dowsers, try
calling the water-well drillers, or go out into the country and ask the
old timers about dowsing.

But do be careful.

Bill