RE: esther & MN

Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:50:34 -0500

George,

Last summer, I heard a sermon on Esther, preached by a local
Presbyterian minister who is pastor of a "blended" congregation
consisting of Anglicans, Presbyterians, United Church and two other
denominations that I can't name offhand.

What startled me was his assertion that the story of Esther is not
historically true, that it contained a lot of hyperbole, and that it is
simply a story to teach people that God looks after His people.

Not being a archaeologist or a Biblical (?) historian, I had always
assumed that this book of the Bible dealt with a real person Esther, a
real king Ahasverus (sorry for the spelling; don't have a Bible in my
office/lab; maybe I should), and a real Mordechai.

Comments?

Thanks

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB