Noah's Ark,etc.

American Scientific Affiliation (asa@newl.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:01:45 -0500 (EST)

Dear ASA Listservers,

There are three ways in which you can help.

1. Below is a letter from a pastor with an ark question and I have no idea
about the answer. If you do answer him or others I send your way, I would
greatly appreciate your copying me <asa@newl.com>. Then I know that someone
has answered the person and learn something myself.

2. At Congress '98 a fellow came by the ASA booth claiming, among other
things, that there is no evidence that speciation has ever really occurred.
In other words the species are fixed and there is no evidence that any have
ever separated into two. I told him about a coral dig that I knew about
where they traced down through the coral and found where one species had
branched into two. He would not accept that since it is part of the fossil
record and in his estimation the whole fossil record is suspect. I told him
I was sure that there were records of modern speciation in reputable
journals and that I would send him articles if I could find any. Folks,
this is not my area and I am hard pressed both timewise and knowledge-wise
to find these articles. Can any of you out there help me? If not, he will
surely be telling everyone that he challenged one of the 'enemy' and that
person could not come up with answers so there are none. Help!

3. Another person wrote to ask how factual the recent article entitled
"Creationisms Geology Time Scale (Vol. 86 {2}, March/April 1998) is in the
latest American Scientist. I saw the article too but cannot answer as a
geologist. What are the comments of ACG members or other geologists out
there? I will be glad to relay them to the questioner who is a bright,
young Christian in science who I hope will soon join the ASA.

Thanks so much,
Don Munro

>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:30:49 -0800
>From: Clifford Phil Silvers <silvers@kalama.com>

>Do you have any information concerning the search for Noah's Ark?
>Someone told me that someone on a search team admitted to falsely
>reporting "facts" surrounding it's reported discovery. Can you
>help me with anything on this?
>Thank you for any help.
> Pastor Clifford Silvers
> Cathlamet, Washington