Re: Why ICR "wins"

Jan de Koning (dekoning@idirect.com)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 21:50:05 -0500

At 01:59 PM 26/01/98 -0500, Moorad wrote:

>Dear Jan,
>
>Testing what a liquid is and determining it to be wine has nothing to do
>with Scripture. Once the nature of the liquid is determined, then the
>question of the age of the wine can be similarly determined in a purely
>scientific fashion. This has nothing to do with Scripture. You seem to
>constantly insist that we mix the two in every activity of our life. I am
>baffled at that.

I don't insist that we mix the two in every activity of life. I do insist
though, that we are always the same person, directed by our "religion",
wetherwe are busy in the area of Theological science or in the area of
Physical, Chemical or Psychological Science. We are a unity as a person,
and I do not have to know the age of the wine Jesus made. The Bible tells
me that it was an excellent wine. And I do insist that God provide the
water on that day as much, as the change of water into wine. The same goes
for any "sign" nowadays. Some may be explained, some are not explained,
but all is under the control of God.

>The question was rhetorical in order to establish that there is no
>scientific test that can determine that the wine was brought into existence
>by material water alone. Science will establish that it is indeed wine and
>its age. If the wine came into existence, say miraculously the day before,
>then how old is the wine? I do not place science in a high pedestal; in
>fact, quite the contrary. I just want to make clear that some of these
>questions are not as easy as they seem and that in answering them we make
>all sorts of assumptions. I want to bring attention to all those assumptions.

Thank you, that is exactly my point. We are often very proud and think we
can explain everything. But, "Our World Belongs To God" as the title of a
creedal statemnet of the Christian Reformed Church of North America
correctly states. We should not try to explain everything. God is in
charge, and we may trust Him, thanks be to our Lord and Saviour Jesus.

Jan de Koning
Willowdale, Ont