Re: We are losing. Big time.

Steven Schimmrich (schimmrich@earthlink.net)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:59:30 -0500

At 03:43 PM 1/22/98 -0800, Steve Schaffner wrote:

>I'm less ambitious, or maybe more pessimistic. I'd be reasonably happy
>if such people could be brought to see that a TE position is _a_
>valid Christian view of origins.

Exactly.

I don't want to necessarily "win" (even though I think the YEC are wrong), I would be happy if I were accepted by many in the Evangelical community as a "real" Christian even though I do not hold to their literal interpretation of a couple of chapters in Genesis.

I've had Christians who, after reading my web pages, send me letters basically telling me that I'm bound for Hell if I don't come around to the YEC point of view. I've had people in churches insinuate that when I become a "mature" Christian, I'll see the error of my ways regarding YEC. It's very discouraging and I know for a fact that YEC does drive people (like fellow geology graduate students I knew) away from Christianity.

- Steve.

--      Steven H. Schimmrich             KB9LCG  schimmrich@earthlink.net      Department of Physical Sciences               Kutztown University      217 Grim Science Building, Kutztown, PA 19530      (610) 683-4437      http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/s-schim     Fides quaerens intellectum