Re: Aqueous origin of "dune deposits", aka Several topics

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:49:46 -0800

At 07:21 PM 1/21/98 -0400, David wrote:

>This is an example of an issue that has bothered me about trying to
>attribute much of the geologic column to the Flood. How does a
>catastrophic flood simultaneously produce drastic, widespread damage and at
>the same time account for delicate preservation of whole fossils? A
>subaqueous debris flow hauling huge pebbles over a large area should damage
>the fossils and mix in aquatic fossils and finer-grained, non-eolian
>sediment.

You would think so, but in the area of Wyoming where we are currently
excavating dinosaurs, there are footprints, completely disarticulated
dinosaurs, whole intact dinosaurs, and everything in between. Rapid burial
is about the only explanation consistent with the depositional scenario,
where there is extensive evidence of instability in the sand and even mud
volcanoes where the dewatering pricess was so violent they disrupted the
whole sequence. There are long bones a couple of feet long that are nearly
vertical in the sequence. Yet the remains appear to have some integrity in
that we find in a single locality the bones that add up to only one
hadrosaur, but with a few pieces of other species as well. It is a strange
scenario.

Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu