Re: Prediluvial CO2 budget--unrealistic

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 07:27:12 -0800

At 08:08 PM 1/21/98 -0600, Glenn wrote:

>I knew that this was a possible answer and I was wanting someone to say
>exactly this. Because if God created everything instantaneously, then why
>didn't He do it in 4004 B.C or 2002 BC or 101 BC or yesterday afternoon?

Am I God that I can answer the timing and purposes of God?

If
>God created everything and made things look old, then how can we tell when
>creation was? The argument is not a strawman because it was designed to
>elicit exactly the possibility that your raised.

Happy to oblige :-).

>If God must save us from all our theological/scientific problems by creating
>or fixing whatever the problem is, then why do we need science at all? Why
>do we need to pay any attention to observational data? Maybe god created a
>different number of laminae between the two tuffs that Buchheim studied? I
>don't see an end to this type of game. It would be much simpler to just have
>God do everything and then we are done with the creation/evolution issue
>because there is no issue. What ever was done was done miraculously.

So, because you want to avoid having God do anything, you would contrive a
falsehood that is rationalistic??? Do you want Truth or do you want a
logical positivist explanation for everything? You may have to choose, in
fact if there is a Creator God, you will indeed have to choose. There are
areas where we can deduce things on our own and do reproducible experiments
and these are the areas where science is strongest. Then there are areas
where we have to try to explain existing phenomena which we can only
speculate about and try to think of all possible explanations and try to
choose from among these the one or ones that seem to us to make the most
sense, and this is where science is weakest, and where we would expect God,
if it was important, to shed light on the subject. In fact I think there
are areas like the history of the earth where the only way we can know what
happened for certain is by depending on His word to illuminate our feeble
minds.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu