Re: Prediluvial CO2 budget--unrealistic

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 20:08:52 -0600

At 09:02 AM 1/21/98 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>At 08:31 AM 1/21/98 -0600, Glenn wrote:
>>Let us assume that there are 1656 years between the origin of the earth
>and the global catastrophe. This means that 109,000/1656= 65 atmospheres
>worth of CO2 must be removed from the atmosphere each year. Somehow that
>much carbon dioxide must have been cycled through the system each year,
>that is, it must have been produced by photosynthesis, sent into the
>atmosphere and water, and then incorporated by bacteria, forams, clams,
>etc. and deposited in the rocks.
>>
>>This is unrealistic. I don't think science really supports the young earth
>view. A particular brand of theology does though.
>
>Since YEC's probably assume an instantaneous creation of the material of
>the earth on day 1, you are assuming that God did not supply the earth with
>any carbonate at creation. This is a wildly unrealistic assumption, in my
>opinion, and makes your argument a straw man.

I knew that this was a possible answer and I was wanting someone to say
exactly this. Because if God created everything instantaneously, then why
didn't He do it in 4004 B.C or 2002 BC or 101 BC or yesterday afternoon? If
God created everything and made things look old, then how can we tell when
creation was? The argument is not a strawman because it was designed to
elicit exactly the possibility that your raised.

If God must save us from all our theological/scientific problems by creating
or fixing whatever the problem is, then why do we need science at all? Why
do we need to pay any attention to observational data? Maybe god created a
different number of laminae between the two tuffs that Buchheim studied? I
don't see an end to this type of game. It would be much simpler to just have
God do everything and then we are done with the creation/evolution issue
because there is no issue. What ever was done was done miraculously.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood