Re: preserving raindrops and mats

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 06:04:37 -0600

At 09:41 PM 1/19/98 -0600, bpayne@voyageronline.net wrote:

>The thing I notice most about present-day mud flats where I do see
>raindrop impressions preserved on the surface is that the mud displays
>mud cracks caused by shrinkage due to dessication as the drying
>progressed to harden the mud. Are mud cracks normally associated with
>raindrop impressions in the rock strata?

YES, YES, YES!!

Shrinkage cracks in the Supai commonly are associated with
raindrop pits and various types of land plants."~ p 276 Edwin D.
Mckee, The Supai Group of Grand Canyon USGS Professional Paper
1173 Washington: U. S. Government Printing Office, 1982
**
"The commonest sites for the development of mudcracks are water-
saturated sediment surfaces which are exposed subaerially, such
as surfaces of dried up ponds, coastal and inland sabkha, lakes
and lagoons; abandoned river channels; flood plains, and
intertidal zones. In these areas mudcracks are usually
associated with other features of subaerial exposure, such as
raindrop imprint, hailstone imprints, etc. A combination of such
features constitutes one of the best indicators of intermittent
subaerial exposure of a sedimentation surface."~ p. 59-60 H. E.
Reineck J. B. Singh Depositional Sedimentary Environments New
York: Springer-Verlag 1980

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood