Re: Fish Heads

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 06:01:16 -0600

At 08:34 PM 1/19/98 -0600, bpayne@voyageronline.net wrote:
>Mon, 19 Jan 1998 06:14:04 -0600 Glenn Morton wrote:
>
>> There are some excellently preserved fossil fish from the Don River
>> formation of Ontario. this deposit is less than 10,000 years old.
>
>Is it a Flood deposit? :-) What do the associated strata look like? Do
>you have a reference?

You asked for a modern example so I don't think you would classify this as
anything but post flood.

I may have had the formation name wrong. Here are the articles.
Good holocene fish fossils are found in Champlainian Sea. see
Barry G. Warner, "Early Work in Quaternary Botany in Canada,
Geoscience Canada, 13:1, pp. 39-44

Donald E. Champagne, C. R. Harington and Don E. McAllister,
"Deepwater Sculpin, Myoxocephalus thompsoni (Girard) from a
Pleistocene nodule, Green Creek, Ontario, Canada," Can. Journal
Earth Sciences, 16, 1979, pp.1621-1628

and Don E. McAllister, Stephen L. Cumbaa and C. R. Harington,
"Pleistocene fishes (Coregonus, osmerus, Microgadus,
Gasterosteus) from Green Creek, Ontario, Canada," Can. Journal
Earth Sciences, 18, 1981), p. 1356-1364

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood