Re: Dreadful theology?

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:19:20 -0800

At 08:41 PM 1/18/98 -0500, George wrote:

> And there are other effects of the type of theology typical of
>ICR. It tends to insist that a Christian can't have any doubts, while
>in fact, since we are sinners & thus of imperfect faith, we do doubt.
>This can lead either to guilt if doubt cannot be suppressed or to a very
>superficial faith if all questioning - & thus all thinking - are
>suppressed. & in the worst case that can result in a sham faith that is
>worse than no faith at all because the person thinks he/she does
>believe.

This hits the nail on the head, George. If ICR scientists are really
scientists, then they themselves must live with doubt and a questioning
attitude all the time. Why would they think that denying others the same
privilege is a plus? I would never want by anything I said to remove the
desire for continued exploration from another human being. Having listened
to a whole bunch of tapes, not so much from ICR, but from other popular
speakers like Kent Hovind, that ridicule scientists, and make a mockery of
science, while disarming the people of all the armament they need to defend
themselves from a hostile world, I share your concerns. Jesus specifically
expressed concern that his people would lack the virtue of faith before His
return. I think some Christian expositors of creation are contributing to
this as are those who espouse positivism.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu