Re: Science Odyssey

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:26:54 -0600

"Tdl" wrote:

>I have been enjoying the Science Odyssey programs on PBS. Last night it
>was on "Origins". The first hour was on geology/astro-evolution. On
>the second hour, life was the paramount subject. The fossil record was
>not discussed at length (no stasis or explosions were mentioned) and the
>content was primarily on human evolution and related items (dinosaurs'
>extinction gave way to mammal and eventually human evolution). The hour
>ended with DNA and some scientist (Lerner ?) from some Institute
>(White???? - sorry) telling the audience that we should be humble
>because we got here by shear dumb luck. Evolution by non-guided,
>purposeless, impersonal, unpredictable means was presented as a fact and
>the Bible was quoted, as a sort of ancient science book, only to be
>downgraded to some type of archaic mythology.
>
>Why am I telling you this?
>
>Well, the members of this forum react rather strongly to attacks on
>evolution. I know that you believe in a God who works through natural
>means, according to your reasonable theology, and that He has worked
>evolution from the start at will. But most scientists who believe in
>evolution just as much as yourselves are telling the whole world that we
>are just lucky - we need not be here. Predestination before the
>foundations of the world is not more than a fairy tale.

Predestination is one issue. Divine control is another.

>The ID movement is attacking this familiar "jump" from science into
>theology (but presented as science) by attacking Darwinism and its shaky
>fossil record.

"Shaky"? How is it shaky? And the genetic record. Is it also shaky?
Biological evolution, descent with modification, and shared common
ancestry is part of the established paradigm. No one has presented
reputable data in a contrary direction that will withstand scientific
scrutiny. No one.

To suggest that a universe can spring into existence unassisted, and
that life can pop out of a chemical solution, then replicate with
increasing complexity does require a leap of faith. And at these
junctures science-minded Christians can draw the line, I believe.

But anything that calls for God's continual intervention in life
processes (as ID does) is also a leap of faith. What should we do
then as men of science? Proclaim our leaps of faith superior to the
atheists because we have a higher purpose?

I share your objection that trying to shoehorn atheism into our heads
under the guise of science is reprehensible. But if IDers have got
any data they have been doing a good job of keeping it secret.

>Shall we unite or keep throwing rocks at each other?

We are united. We believe in the deity of Christ. It is Him and
Him only we serve. We differ only on matters of no eternal
importance.

Dick Fischer
THE ORIGINS SOLUTION
http://www.orisol.com