Re: What are physical "laws"?

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 21:37:58 -0500

John P. McKiness wrote:

> Question, Did God make (created) the physical laws which the physical cosmos
> must obey or are the physical laws a human creation to explain God
> consistent activity in His creation?
>
> My answer to the question is that these "laws" are human approximations
> which attempt to explain God's consistent activity in and with His creation.

I would say that God created the universe with a mathematical
pattern - contingently, because there is more than one such possible
pattern. Thus the pattern is created, for it does not just emanate
inevitably from God. What we call laws of physics are approximations to
that pattern, or to parts thereof. Thus to say that God created
physical laws is (or should be) a kind of shorthand for "God created the
pattern to which our laws approximate.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy