Re: Fish Heads

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:16:48 -0600

Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:22:08 -0800 Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:

> Fish are found in the areas where the laminae are, but not everywhere.
> THere are specific stratigraphic and geographic regions where the fish are
> most common.

Good. Then fish fossils are definitely associated with the laminae which
have been interpreted as annual varves. Now, do we see annual varves
accumulating today which also have interbedded dead fish which might
potentially become fossils under the right conditions? We need a
credible model/mechanism for the preservation of dead fish until they
eventually get buried if the varve theory survives.

I am also surprised that the laminae were not destroyed by bioturbation
if this was a lake-bottom environment of slow accumulation.

Bill Payne