Re: Green River varves

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:19:27 -0600

At 10:00 AM 1/13/98 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>At 10:16 PM 1/12/98 -0600, Glenn Morton wrote:
>> As you are aware, the preferred term today is actualism although many still
>>use uniformitarianism.
>
>Another effort to get away from the baggage of uniformitarianism. As a
>favorite Cal Geology professor once remarked "The only thing
>Uniformitarianism means today is that water didn't run uphill in the past"

But Art, if you want to say that geologists don't believe in global
catastrophes, this would be wrong. The K-T meteor that wiped out the
dinosaurs was a global catastrophe. What they can't find evidence for is
the one catastrophe that Christians want, namely the global flood. I think
the catastrophic meteor hypothesis shows that geology is not hopelessly
against global catastrophes. They just want some evidence that there was a
global catastrophe.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood