Re: theistic-friendly science

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 09 Jan 1998 17:21:33 -0500

Moorad Alexanian wrote:

> Mathematics is a human invention. Of course, it my be directly linked to our
> being created in the image of God, but the connection is not clear to us
> humans. I grant you that God created spacetime and "everything" in it.
> However, I do not know how God created the number "pi" since that has to do
> with non existing perfect circles.

How about (pi)^2 = 6 x [1/1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 + ....]?
Or (pi)/2 = (2x2x4x4x6x6 ...)/(3x3x5x5...)?
Or e^[2(pi)i] = 1 ?

In fact, all of our theoretical science
> is a over idealizations of reality.

No, it is a search for the underlying math pattern of the world
- which pattern is God's creation. There are many different math
systems (as the discovery of non-Euclidean geometries showed) but we
know of only this one which is "embodied". The universe is rational but
is God's free creation. This is what Torrance calls "the doctrine of
the contingent rationality of the universe."
I think Plato was right - God is always doing geometry. But
that's not all God does.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy