Re: theistic-friendly science

Jan de Koning (dekoning@idirect.com)
Fri, 09 Jan 1998 15:09:21 -0500

At 09:25 AM 09/01/98 -0500, Moorad Alxanian wrote:
>The fact that mathematics, a human creation, is useful to describe nature is
>the greatest mystery in science. I believe that that mystery attests to the
>creation of man and nature by an Intelligent Designer (ID). The atheist who
>is a scientist has no answer for that mystery. Therefore, it seems to me
>that the notion of an ID has no other usefulness in carrying on science as
>we do today. It may have been the determining factor that stimulated the
>creation of modern science as we know it today, but once the process began,
>then there is no further need to invoke it. Of course, Christians may be
>inspired in their work and in the creation of ideas by our faith in Christ.
>Certainly, in the area of how life originated, the question of origins,
>etc., I believe the difference between the believer and the nonbeliever may
>become more evident. Also, the nonbeliever must possess a worldview like the
>believer, then nonscientific issues will definitely be handled differently.
>The latter, I believe, are the real important issues in life. The
>scientific issues are a far second to the real issues that humans encounter
>as they live their daily lives.
>
>Moorad

Sorry, Moorad, I don't think that human beings really can create anything.
Not mathematics either. It is much more than a tool, though it is needed
to describe God's creation in other areas. God created numbers, space and
time. The most we can do is name them, as Adam named creatures in the
garden. I don't understand why you do not answer the objections some of us
have against Intelligent Design. I too believe that the difference between
believer and non-believer becomes more clear every day, but not in the way
you think. I'll try once more to state my objections:

1. Who are we, who with our created brains want to decide what is
"intelligent" and what is not? If we see the thorns and thistles and
natural disasters, are we able to say: "God created them in order to make
life difficult for men?" Maybe we can on the basis of Scriptures, but you
certainly need the Word of God to say that that is "intelligent."

2. As the Bible clearly states, and I quoted texts in the past, nothing on
this earth happens outside the will of God. The clearest examples, I
think, are in the Old Testament, where the Lord calls heathen nations to
punish Israel. Or think of the Exodus story.

3. Do I understand you correctly, that once the process began, there is no
need to invoke our faith? I believe, that that statement is directly
contradicting the fact that we follow our Lord everywhere and in
everything. I believe that I am always and everywhere in everything I do
His child, studying His laws, his creatures etc. To state differently
takes part of your life away from God, something we are not allowed to do.

4. Indeed, the difference between unbeliever and believer will become
clearer in every aspect, that includes sciences too. If you keep the
sciences out, you have an unredeemed area in your life.

5. Non-scientific issues are the only real important issues in your life?
That is a dangerous and unchristian statement. God does not want half a
person, but a whole person. If you think that science does not belong to
God, than you should not be involved on this list, where Christians want to
talk with Christians about how to do science.

6. God created everything, so everything is studying God's Creation. We
may use different names, and have different theories, but basically all of
us want to serve God by trying to describe creation and the history of
creation. We may have theories, which others are criticizing. As soon as
somebody leaves it out of the important issues of life, it is not worth
studying. (The result will be that we have no defence against the secular
orld.)

Jan de Koning
Willowdale, Ont.