Re: > PC vs. TE (Will it ever end?)

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 18:25:56 -0500

Vandergraaf, Chuck wrote:

> I had thoughts along the same vein as Karen and Eduardo. Genesis 1 tells
> us that "God saw that it [whatever He created] was good." Adam (or Eve)
> would therefore not have suffered from any genetic disorder before the
> fall and one can postulate that subsequent genetic disorders were the
> result of Original Sin.

"Good" does not necessarily mean "perfect". There is no
biblical basis for the common western belief that Adam & Eve were
extraordinarily beautiful, intelligent, perceptive, &c. Much less is
there any basis for saying that they had "perfect genetics" - whatever
that may mean.

> Is it possible that God allowed Satan to muck around with physical
> processes as well? Could Satan have distorted the geological record to
> put it at odds with Special Revelation?

This is effect makes Satan the creator of the world as we know
it, & thus approaches the Manichean heresy, according to which an "evil
God" is the creator of the (evil) material world. It is a large scale
version of an extreme idea of original sin which was condemned at the
time of the Reformation (Formula of Concord, Article I), which said that
original sin was the substance of fallen human nature.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy