Re: Green River varves

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 22:29:04 -0600

Hi Art,

At 02:35 PM 1/5/98 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
> But in
>my book, the real issue is still the reproducibility of the multithousand
>laminae counts and whether these can be reliably said to contain solar or
>Milankovitch cycles in the light of Pittock.

Since you have been surprising me, maybe now I get a chance to return the favor.
I got Pittock's work, which was published in Aug. 1978 and was submitted
Nov. 1, 1977. These dates are important because I am going to tell the
story of one of the most fascinating guys I ever had work for me and it was
he who got me interested in atmospheric physics which led to my first paper
in the CRSQ on the temperature under the vapor canopy (too hot for life).
The story is necessary as a tribute to this man who was instrumental in me
starting to publish. I also got to play a very minor role in an exciting
discovery.

But as the story unfolds, it is necessary to know that Pittock's paper,
published in 1978, says that there is no firm link between the solar cycle