Re: >Re: Wells and Nelson's article

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Sat, 03 Jan 1998 16:06:17 -0500

Eduardo G. Moros wrote:

> On another point I would like to say that theistic evolutionists (TE)
> are not unanimous when it comes to how God "acts" in evolution. That is
> to say that most TE use the same data (to create theories) that
> atheistic evolutionists (AE) use (to create their purely naturalistic
> theories from beginning to end.) The fact that you have a picture of how
> it took place it does not mean you are rigth. IOW, how would you (TE)
> explain to a AT the work of God in evolution, your (TE's) theories. I
> can easily conclude that you (TE) don't really have ONE theory, you (I
> mean TE) are just riding along with AE in the same wagon. Why should I
> take the TE position instead of the AE position.

Atheistic physicists explain the motion of the planets in terms
of spaec-time curvature obeying Einstein's equations. As a physicist
who is a Christian, I do too. I think that God works through the
instrumentality of space-time curvature, & voluntarily limits his
actions (within this set of phenomena) to those that can be described by
Einstein's equations. Is this wrong? Should I add some specifically
theistic" terms to those equations?
Many Christians seem content to understand God's actions in most
natural phenomena in ways that are consistent with laws accepted by the
scientific community, theistic, atheistic, and agnostic alike. But they
want to draw the line at understanding the development of life in this
way. Why should this be? It is particularly puzzling because Genesis 1
quite pointedly speaks of the origin of _living things_ as mediated
creation.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy