>Re: Wells and Nelson's article

Eduardo G. Moros (moros@castor.wustl.edu)
Fri, 02 Jan 1998 15:11:19 -0600

Hi Glenn,

Happy New Year,

I agree with you in part only. Although one desires an alternative theory to
be postulated, this is not strictly necessary or mandatory. Like Berlinski
said to one of his critics (paraphrasing here) "Should I not complain of an
awful tasting dish because I don't know how to cook?".

Every day, every week, every month and every year since Darwin, "evolutionary"
data has been collected and published by scientists. Even today, the number
of scientists working on a "Darwinistic Model" outnumbers drastically those
with new theories - we may even include Gould among the proponents of "new"
theories, he is outnumbered too, as are TE's. Bearing in mind the enormity of
the data, the fact that Darwinism is still in controversy is significant.
According to you Christians should revise their apologetics under an
evolutionary framework, but according to many scientists, even some atheists,
there is a need for revising the main scientific principles or evolution. If
some scientists question the current beliefs of how evolution really took
place they are themselves in the same position of the IDers, they have not
come up with a robust alternative.

I would argue that new theories will need time to develop properly if they are
to compete or replace the current model/theory. Given the number of
scientists needed and the $$$ required to develop new theories we can assume
that a long time will pass before we see any major change. Today evolutionary
materialistic philosophy is applied across the board in ALL scientific
disciplines one way or another. To combat the status quo will not be easy --
it took more than a century to remove the "church" from the scientific pulpit.

We need competing theories, it promotes radical thinking and competition. We
all may learn something from these new theories and the debates that are
raging -- I already did.

To cut a tree down to plant another one in its position one needs to uproot
the old tree first, work the ground and then plant the new tree. I like this
metaphor to explain the current approach of IDers. Gould, I see, as modifying
the current tree or as plating a new "similar" tree
altogether.

Salutis

Eduardo