Re: order, complexity, entropy and evolution

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:26:48 -0800

At 07:36 PM 12/17/97 -0600, Glenn wrote:
>I will stand by this one. I might be beaten up about 16th century history,
>but I work in a branch of information theory. All the processes we use in
>geophysical processing were originated by many of the founders of
>information theory. Provide a means of determining which of the following
>sequences of chinese words has meaning (i.e. is highly organized, highly
>specified, highly complex, high entropy), which is random ordering via a
>markov process (i.e. highly random, highly unspecified highly complex high
>entropy) which is highly ordered.

I thought we were discussing complexity, not order. Crystals have order.
They are complex on a trivial level compared with living systems. If
people have mistaken order for complexity, don't count me as one of them!
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu