Re: Fossil Scenario

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 03 Dec 1997 06:04:11 -0600

Hi Karen,
At 09:08 PM 12/2/97 -0600, Karen G. Jensen wrote:
>Hi Glenn,
>
>Thu, 20 Nov 1997 06:12:43 -0600 you wrote:
>
>>But there are animal burrows in nearly every geologic layer. That is
>>evidence of slow deposition in every layer.
>
>If deposition were slow, wouldn't there be time for animals to burrow a
>lot, and completely bioturbate the sediment (which they can do in a few
>hours)? In that case the laminae would be disturbed, and many burrows
>would be obscured also.

Not necesarrily. It depends upon how deep the burrows go, and the density of
burrowing animals. I would point out however that there are many layers in
which bioturbation HAS destroyed the bedding. I would have to look them up
but how do you account for these beds?

>But if deposition were rapid, they would only burrow as long as they were
>able, usually falling far short of completely bioturbating the sediment.
>Most layers have undisturbed laminae and the animal burrows (if any) are
>often distinct. Isn't that what would be expected during rapid
>sedimentation?

In a global flood where the animals are being destroyed as time goes on, we
should see less burrowing as we climb the geologic record. There should be
fewer burrowing animals at the end of the flood than there were at the
beginning. We don't see this at all. we see the same number of burrowing
animals at the end of the flood as at the beginning. The Pipe Creek section
SW of Austin has at least 5 layers of burrows-no burrows layers deposited in
about 12 feet. There are thousands of burrows on the burrowed layers and
non in between. Each burrowed layer is buried by about 2 feet of sediment
with no obvious burrows. Where, in a global flood did the burrowing animals
hide and how did they repopulate the area so rapidly? At the rates of
deposition for the area you are depositing about 50 feet of sediment on
average every day during the flood. The 5 layers would have required only
about 6 hours to be deposited during the flood. That is quite rapid burrowing.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood