Re: Limits of Kinds

Karen G. Jensen (kjensen@calweb.com)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:04:46 -0600

Tue, 18 Nov 1997 18:10:36 -0600 Glenn Morton wrote:

there have been some recently who have said
>that there is a limit to change and I see none.
>
>If I have a set of 12 numbers:
>
>382754302847
>
>and I start mutating them one location at a time. What is the limit to
>change? only the number of positions. In a dna genome there are the
>equivalent of 3.5 billion numbers which can be changed by mutation.
I see no
>reason why there must be a limit to change in that sequence other than the
>death of the organism or its failure to reproduce.

I belive you have offered two good reasons, death of the organism or its
failure to reproduce. Those will indicate when the mutations have exceed
the organism's limits of adaptation to change. It's not a mathematical
proof of why there must be a limit to change, but it is a good measure of
biological reality.

Karen