Re: Separation of science and religion

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 18:42:01 -0500 (EST)

At 10:40 PM 11/14/97 -0600, Keith B Miller wrote:

>Science does have an impact on religion, even when "scientific" claims are
>not at issue. For example, if evolution and common descent are true
>descriptions of the history of life, there are religious implications.
>Such religious issues include: 1) the nature of God's interaction with His
>creation, 2) the meaning of pain and suffering in creation (theodicy), 3)
>the role, if any, for creaturely freedom, and 4) the meaning of "the image
>of God." There are others as well. If common descent is true, then our
>theology must accord with this reality. I should also say that what
>uncertainty exists in the evolutionary picture of the history of life,
>should not be used as an excuse to avoid the implications.
>
>Keith

Dear Keith,

If we had a scientific theory that predicted evolution and common
descent--that is, answered the question of the origins of man fully--then
all the questions that can asked about man would have been answered by such
a theory. I do not believe there would be any room for religious
ruminations. Therefore, to the extent that the questions you rise are
meaningful to us, then to that extent we can disbelief the existence of such
a scientific theory of the origin of man.

Take care,

Moorad