Re: Separation of science and religion

Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 22:05:50 -0600 (CST)

Moorad wrote:

>If we had a scientific theory that predicted evolution and common
>descent--that is, answered the question of the origins of man fully--then
>all the questions that can asked about man would have been answered by such
>a theory. I do not believe there would be any room for religious
>ruminations. Therefore, to the extent that the questions you rise are
>meaningful to us, then to that extent we can disbelief the existence of such
>a scientific theory of the origin of man.

Are you saying that scientific description eliminates theological meaning
or description? Since my conception and fetal development can be
scientifically described, am I to disbelieve that God knit me together in
my mother's womb? Since I can describe how rain is generated, am I to
disbelieve that it is God who brings the rain? An utterly complete
scientific description of anything does absolutely nothing to remove God's
hand and involvement, or to remove its theological significance.

Keith

Keith B. Miller
Department of Geology
Kansas State University