Dawkins: Dec 19th Evo Debate

Bob Carling (carling@tcp.co.uk)
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 16:53:11 +0000

The following was posted to the mailing list for the World of Richard
Dawkins, which is run by secular humanist John Catalano (see
http://www.spacelab.net/~catalj).

>Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:34:46 -0500
>From: "John Catalano" <catalj@spacelab.net>
>Subject: Dawkins: Dec 19th Evo Debate, "Bible Code" debunker on WFMU,
Ebert on Darwin
>Sender: owner-rdawkins@secular.org
>
>Greetings!,
>
>This message includes some new items along with previous changes that
>were done while the list was down.
>

>HEADLINES (http://www.spacelab.net/~catalj/#topnews)
>=========
>
>If you receive PBS on your television, you may want to mark your
>calendar & watch this major debate:
>(from http://WWW.NatCenSciEd.org/firlin.htm)

> NCSEâs Eugenie Scott To Appear On Firing Line
>
>On December 19, 1997, the well-known PBS program ãFiring Lineä will air
>a two-hour special on the evolution-creation controversy. The program
>will be a debate, taking place on a college campus before a student
>audience.
>
>Host William Buckley has once again invited Michael Kinsley, editor of
>the on-line magazine Slate, to moderate. Buckley will join other
>debaters arguing in favor of the resolution, ãResolved: The
>evolutionists should acknowledge creation.ä All but one guest has been
>chosen from the best-known anti-evolutionists, and the leading defenders
>of evolution. Dr. Eugenie C. Scott, Executive Director of the National
>Center for Science Education; Rev. Barry Lynn, Executive Director of
>Americans United for Separation of Church and State; philosopher
>Michael Ruse, author of But Is It Science? and Monad to Man; and Kenneth
>R. Miller, Div. of Biology and Medicine, Brown University. Buckley will
>be joined by law professor Phillip Johnson, author of Darwin on Trial;
>biochemist Michael Behe, author of Darwinâs Black Box ; and
>mathematician David Berlinski, whose anti-evolution article in
>Commentary drew considerable attention last year. (Miller and Johnson
>have already participated in an online debate sponsored by the
>television science series "Nova".)
>
>The live broadcast of Firing Line will be at 8:00 PM Eastern time on
>December 19; be sure to check your local listings for broadcast times
>in your area.
>
>My opinion? Perhaps PBS should be producing a 10-part series on the
>science of evolutionary biology, instead. In any case I'm hoping for the
>best!

[snip]
>--
>John Catalano + catalj@spacelab.net + New York, USA
>"The World of Richard Dawkins" + http://www.spacelab.net/~catalj

Bob Carling

Dr R.C.J. Carling, Home address
Senior Editor, Life Sciences 90 Charlton Road
Chapman & Hall Shirley
2-6 Boundary Row Southampton, SO15 5EW, UK
London SE1 8HN, UK Tel: +44(0)1703-778830
Tel: +44(0)171-865-0066 Fax: +44(0)1703-342838 (but
Fax: +44(0)171-410-6907 please call first)
www.chapmanhall.com www.tcp.co.uk/~carling
bob.carling@chall.co.uk (work) carling@tcp.co.uk (home)