Re: Constant 'c'?

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 09:27:44 -0500 (EST)

At 05:21 PM 11/5/97 -0500, David Bowman wrote:
>Concerning what Moorad Alexanian wrote:
>>In the case of length and energy, the numerical constants, 2.54 and 4.184,
>>have no physical content and are only a historical curiosity. Note that one
>>is dealing only with energy or only with length.
>
>*Now* we know that heat and work are just different methods of changing the
>internal energy of a thermodynamic system. Heat was shown to be equivalent
>to macroscopic work by Joule. Before this heat and work were not necessarily
>thought of as being so interchangable. Heat had been thought of in terms of
>a caloric substance. Before the work of Joule if you told someone that
>the calorimetric property of heat was "the same stuff" as a force times a
>distance (work) that person would probably have thought you were crazy. Heat
>and work were thought to have their own separate (engineering) dimensions.
>
>> On the other hand, the
>>constant c is the speed of light in vacuum, a measurable quantity.
>
>Not any more. Now c is a *defined* quantity. An experiment done before
>1983 that proported to carefully measure c in terms of two independent
>definitions for time and length *now* actually would carefully measure
>the length of the prior length standard (wavelength of an orange Kr-86 line)
>in terms of the modern meter.
>
>> By
>>defining the value of c to have an exact number, 299792458, one is only
>>defining the meter in terms of the unit of time, the second. But note that
>>we are dealing with two different quantities---space and time, albeit,
>>components of a 4-vector---which have different dimensions.
>
>One of the main lessons of relativity is that time and space are *not*
>such different things that they deserve their own separate dimensions and
>units. Time and space are very intimately tied together by relativity
>theory into a *single* geometric manifold called spacetime. This is not so
>different from the marriage of work and heat by the first law of
>thermodynamics into the single energy change concept.
>
>Why would you think giving different components of a (4-)vector different
>dimensions is a sensible thing to do?
>
>> If somewhere in
>>the universe, the velocity of light is different, then by using our
>>definition of the second and the meter, they would get a different length
>>for the meter.
>
>Or for the duration of the second, or both. How could you possibly tell if
>the speed limit of causation c was different in one place to another given
>that time and space are defined in such a way keep c constant? We attribute
>differences in local dilations between locally measured proper lengths of
>measuring rods and locally measured proper times of clocks in different
>regions of spacetime as being due to inhomogeneous local curvature effects in
>the spacetime manifold caused by gravitation. If some region of spacetime
>effectively had a different speed limit of causation relative to some other
> [...]

I do not want to belabor the point but what I had in mind all the time was
the following: If I take the length of one inch and the length of one
centimeter as defined here and now such that the ratio of lengths is
precisely 2.54, and then either transport them in space and/or time anywhere
in the universe, it seems to me that irrespective of any theory the ratio
would have to remain 2.54 per force. Whatever affects one length would have
the affect the other equally so that the ration would have to remain 2.54. I
believe the same would be true for the 4.184 between doing work and adding
heat in raising the temperature of water. However, if I define the meter and
the second here and now and experimentally determine the speed of light, I
am not assured that the same equipment and measurement when transported
elsewhere in space and/or time would give me precisely the same speed of
light. Of course, one can assume that the speed of light is a universal
constant or else say that such and such a theory implies that the speed
would be a constant, and thus we would have to get the same numerical value
for the speed of light. However, that would be a physical assumption and not
the result of a purely logical conclusion as in the case of length or
energy. Is it clear what I have in mind? I would appreciate your comments on
it. BTW the article I read by F.J. Dyson on the possible time dependency of
the constants of nature when I was involved in the nature of the
fine-structure constant is in "Aspects of Quantum Theory" edited by A. Salam
and E.P. Wigner. Unfortunately, our university does not have a copy of it
for me to look up since that was the issue that started all these discussions.

Take care,

Moorad