Re: Design Flaw in the Brain

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 20:37:15 -0600

Hi Brian,

At 05:47 PM 10/29/97 -0800, bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net wrote:
>My son, Andy, at U of Montana sent this re: The Design Flaw in the Brain
>
>---

>To have all the information to fully predict how all the dendrites will
>form, we need to know every quantum mechanical detail of every molecule
>involved and the other environmental details: light, gravity, ect.
>Considering that we can't know the exact position, velocity, and spin of
>the electrons around a single hydrogen atom, there is no way we can gain
>all the information needed to predict exact biological growth. I
>suppose that if we could find the mechanics of the most sub-atomic
>particles, such that we could not break it down any further, and
>included every detectable environmental variable (on this sub-atomic
>level) we could build a computational model that would exactly predict
>everything from electron spin to the exact formation of biological forms
>in a closed system. Since the only truly closed system consists of
>everything, we would have to keep track of ever sub-atomic particle. To
>consider this even theorectically possible my a species that has trouble
>keeping track if it socks is thinking way to highly of the human race.

Since one cannot have all the quantum states and even if you did it would
not yield a predictable design to the brain, I think your son is saying that
the genome cannot have enough information to specify the brain's circuitry.
This is precisely my point. It can't. Yet if you listen to the
anti-evolutionists, you get the decided impression that they argue that the
information MUST be provided by the Designer for the entire biological
system. What this shows is that the biological system is too short of
information. Thus the demand for specificity by the anti-evolutionists is an
erroneous demand. If the information MUST be specified, then they need to
specify exactly where this specified info is.

The other implication of this is that every brain is wired differently, yet
the overall effect is the production of a human.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood