Re: Design Flaw in the Brain

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 20:28:42 -0600

Hi Don,

there are two things that I would like to respond to:

At 09:44 AM 10/29/97 -0700, Don N Page wrote:
> a petabit. (No, this isn't what teenagers do when they
>erroneously think they aren't going too far.)

Still having one of my 3 sons a teenager, I do not want him doing physics in
numbers this large and engaging in "petabit". :-)

> A few months ago I saw a newspaper article proposing that humans be
>implanted with chips that would store their lifetime experiences, and I have a
>vague memory that this would supposedly require the storage of 10^16 bits, a
>bit beyond present chip capabilities. (I don't have such a chip installed for
>me to check the number.) If so, and if the brain can store 10^15 bits, it
>could in principle remember (have stored, not necessarily be able to recall)
>about 10% of one's experience. Of course, I suspect that the efficiency is
not
>near 100%, so the fraction stored might be much less than 10%. Does anyone
>else remember the estimated storage requirements of this memory chip? (If one
>had several of these devices installed as backups, but if they all were
>inoperative one day, one might say that "the chips are down.")

Secondly, The Mad Hatter, Tipler, in his book Physics of Immortality says
that the human brain can store 1000 years worth of experience (Tipler p.
255). He says that the storage capacity of the brain is between 10^13 and
10^17 bits. (Tipler p. 23)

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood