Re: ACG members and the age of the earth

Tom Pearson (pearson@panam1.panam.edu)
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 15:16:52 -0500 (CDT)

At 12:56 PM 10/24/97 -0600, Eduardo G. Moros wrote:

>I disagree. Unmature wine is grape juice. Jesus converted water into good
>wine, there is not creation ex nihilo here. However, He could have created
>the world looking like it looks right now, the adjective of "OLD" is ours and
>it could be true in the sense that that's what "our" science shows, but that
>does not rule out that it was created "old".

I agree. Grape juice is not wine, any more than the child is the adult: no
maturation has taken place. "Unmature wine" strikes me as an oxymoron, on
the order of "unmarried husband." Unless I, too, have joined the ranks of
those "missing something," it seems to me that a necessary attribute of the
identity of wine is that it should possess the appearance of age. And you
are certainly right that God *could have* created the world with the
appearance of age, but He could also have done otherwise. There's no
necessity that attaches to either of these creative strategies. But if wine
is to be wine -- and not grape juice -- it is necessary that it possess the
appearance of age.

Tom Pearson

Thomas D. Pearson
Department of History & Philosophy