Re: Evolution and Christianity -Reply

Jan de Koning (dekoning@idirect.com)
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:29:22 -0400

At 01:54 PM 23/10/97 -0700, Preston Simpson wrote (in reply to me):

>How do you know it was not meant to be understood in the
>ordinary sense of its language? There is some truth in the
>commonly made statement that the Bible is not a science book.
>But it was written for ordinary people, not just for those of us
>who regard ourselves as highly educated, scientifically
>sophisticated, and discerning. When a scientifically untrained
>person wants to understand, appreciate, and honor the Bible, is he
>obligated to check with his nearest ASA member before
>formulating his exegesis?
>
>Certainly the Bible is difficult to understand in some areas. And
>there are things in it that seem to be at odds with modern science.
>But when I think about standing at the judgment, I feel much more
>comfortable erring on the side of interpreting Scripture in the
>ordinary sense of the words. I would rather have my Lord say,
>"Son, you were too naive, and you weren't smart enough to
>understand the subtleties of my Word" than to face the
>consequences of having rejected the plain teaching of the Bible
>because I thought I knew what God really meant to say if only
>he'd had the literary skill to do it.

Sorry, you misunderstand me. The Bible was written for ordinary people and
for scientist and for artists and for . . ..The parable of the talents
Jesus told makes it very clear, that God gave different talents to
different people. God does definitely ask of scientists a higher levels of
understanding in so far as they are connected with their particular studies
than of a grade three student.

Also, I do not know what God will ask. What we are writing about now may
be completely irrelevant to God. God, who sits in heaven may laugh about
human efforts to try to explain what He did. I do know that God asks of us
now, that we use our talents fully. Besides we will all find out that our
thinking on certain issues was completely incorrect. Jesus died for our
sins, our intellectual sins too. Because of that the discussion on these
subjects can become heated.

Once nore, I do believe in God the Creator of heaven and earth, and in
Jesus Christ Hois only begotten Son, our Saviour, and in the Holy Spirit
who helps and guides us. It does mean that we as Christians should show
our unity, but it does also mean, that as long as we are not perfect we
will have differences.

Jan de Koning
Willowdale<ont.