Re: Few Christian Nobelists- why??

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 11:55:44 -0500

At 12:57 PM 10/19/97 -0400, George Murphy wrote:
>Glenn Morton wrote:
>>
>> I have been watching the discussion of the Nobelists. I have one other
>> explanation and that is that we Christians lose many of the brightest
>> students when they begin to see the difference between what they were taught
>> and what science observes. .......................
>> Not every student can feel comfortable with the view
>> that the Scripture is true but doesn't describe what actually happened.
>
> I was saying "This is most certainly true" - until I hit your
>last sentence!

Everyone has a few near misses. :-)
My first reation is that you think every student CAN be comfortable with
such a view of Genesis. So why do the YECs propser? I would contend that
they are the ones who can't be comfortable with such a view. I obviously
share their concern. But to the more important thing,

Ps.23 is true but didn't "actually happen" (unless you
>eat grass), & Gen.1 & 2 are both true, but the the non-human animals
>were not created _both_ before & after man. But we've been over all
>this before.

But see I don't think Genesis 6-9 is poetry. Everyone wants to talk about
Genesis 1 and 2 but my problem is more fundamentally with 6-9. It is of an
entirely different character.

> Your more fundamental point is profoundly correct. Christians
>who insist that evolution & Christianity absolutely cannot be compatible
>should be required to memorize Mk.9:42.

At least we can agree here.

With respect,

glenn