Re: What does "Perfect" mean?

John P. McKiness (jmckines@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 17:47:16 -0500

Keith Miller wrote earlier I believe:

>Adam was made perfect but he disobeyed God, and God in justifiable wrath
>cursed him. Having endued him with physical perfection and placed him in
>a perfect universe all matched his moral perfection, God now ensured that
>this now morally imperfect being should endure physical imperfections
>which would remind him of what he had become. And the amazing thing is that
>God wanted the human race to have these reminders as part of a huge plan
>aimed at his ultimate goal the restoration of the race to its intended
>perfection.

<snip>

>Keith Walker

For both Keith and Eduardo,

What do you mean by perfect?

"good," not perfect. I would interpret "good" in this case to God declaring
that creation did what He created it to do (in other words it conformed to
His command and obeyed Him) not that it was perfect by human standards (i.e.
without predators, death, parasites, decay, etc. -- the so called "natural
evils").

As an aside, I like the idea (heretical in Iowa) that the curse God placed
on man is agriculture (for Adam and Eve it may have been horticulture).
Notice that weeds are a major part of the Adam's curse. Weeds (plants
growing in the wrong place) are only a problem to farmers (and some
horticulturists) -- thistles really are good once you get past the thorns.

John