Fw: Methodological Theism: part 2

Dennis Feucht (dfeucht@toolcity.net)
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 17:36:57 -0400

Here is the original post on the ID list server, by Robin Collins, that has
generated some discussion there. Along with Robert Koons' forwarded post, I
offer it for your information relative to the ID thread currently in
progress here.

Dennis L. Feucht
Innovatia Labs
14554 Maplewood Road
Townville, Pennsylvania 16360
(814)789-2100
dfeucht@toolcity.net

----------
> From: Robin Collins <RCollins@mcis.messiah.edu>
> Subject: More on Phil of ID
> Date: Thursday, October 09, 1997 5:25 PM
>
> Since sending my message a few days ago about philosophy of ID, I got
three
But
> my sense was that people did not see why it was particularly important to
> talk about the philosophy behind it. Let me say why I do think it is
> important.
>
> As far as I can tell, the major objections to ID are philosophical. [Of
> course, those on the front line, such as Phil, are in a better position
> comment on this than myself.] For example, one common objection is that
we
> should not invoke intelligent design in explaining biological phenomena;
> another related objection is that citing some extra-mundane intelligence
> such as God is vacuous as an explanation. Because of the philosophical
> nature of the objections, it seems to me it would be rhetorically wise to
> get clear on what the intelligent design program is all about. Moreover,
> because ID is a new paridigm in science, I think that it is important to
> carefully consider what we are about, so that we not only can answer our
> critics, but coordinate our efforts. I was trying to take a first stab
at
> that.
>
> At the risk of repeating myself, let me try to clarify and elaborate on
my
> remarks a little. Unlike what I take Behe to be saying, I do NOT think
the
> ID program really needs to actually invoke a designer as a explanation.
> Rather, it seems to me that all we need to propose is that scientists
should
> be open to treating the world, especially biological phenomena, AS IF
they
> are designed, instead of AS IF they are not designed, as people like
Dawkins
> propose. In other words, the ID program advocates a METHODOLOGICAL
THEISM