Fw: philosophy of ID 1st post

Dennis Feucht (dfeucht@toolcity.net)
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 17:23:42 -0400

Some of the discussion of intelligent design (ID) that relates to the
present ASA list server thread is happening on the ID list server. For the
fuller discussion, I am posting two of these other posts here because they
appear to provide a way that ID can be approached to overcome some of the
objections to it.

For your information, here is the one by Robert Koons.

Dennis L. Feucht
Innovatia Labs
14554 Maplewood Road
Townville, Pennsylvania 16360
(814)789-2100
dfeucht@toolcity.net

> > From: Robert C. Koons <koons@mail.la.utexas.edu>
> > Subject: philosophy of ID
> > Date: Thursday, October 09, 1997 1:25 PM
> >
> > I like Robin [Collins]'s approach very much. I tried to make some
similar points
> in
> > my report on the NTSE conference (which can be found at the NTSE web
site
> > -- see the URL below). There are two points that are especially
> important.
> >
> > 1. It is valuable to have more going argumentatively for ID than merely
> > justification by elimination (i.e., it can't be chance or necessity, so
> it
> > must be design). In particular, it is useful to be able to make a case
> for
> > design by appeal to the conscilience of evidences -- the ability of ID
> > unify and make sense of a wide variety of otherwise unrelated data.
> >
> > 2. The Aristotelian distinction between efficient causation and
> > final/teleological causation is an important one to bear in mind. From
> an
> > ID perspective, the efficient-causation question about observed
> irreducible
> > complexity (how did it get here?) is not an interesting one, while for
> the
> > materialist, it is practically the only question they can meaningfully
> ask.
> > This paradigm-relativity of interesting questions was already noted by
> > Kuhn. A new paradigm needn't succeed by the standards of success
> > incorporated in the old paradigm. Simply because we cannot give
> interesting
> > answers to the questions asked by Darwinists doesn't mean that we
cannot
> do
> > better science.
> >
> > I've noticed that most Darwinian biologists have accepted (without
> question
> > or reflection) the modern prejudice against final/teleological
> explanation.
> > There has been some interesting work on the logic of this topic in
recent
> > analytic philosophy, including Larry Wright's book, _Teleological
> > Explanation_. Some, but not all, of this work attempts to reduce the
> > concept of teleology to the workings of natural selection -- thereby
> making
> > Darwinism an a priori, conceptual truth! Other work, including
Wright's,
> > avoids making this mistake and deserves a closer look by ID theorists.
> >
> > As an illustration of both points, I'd like to point to some ideas
> > expressed by Hans Driesch (an early 20th century developmental
biologist
> > and "vitalist") in his book, _The Science and Philosophy of the
Organism_