Re: The recent ID discussion

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 09:11:25 -0400

Paul A. Nelson wrote:
> In his post, Bill Dembski wrote:
>
> >Because intelligent causes are empirically detectable,
> >science must ever remain open to evidence of their activity.
>
> If you want a common credo for the ID group, there it is. (By implication:
> methodological naturalism is unsound.) Theologically, this might be
> understood under the dictum, "Adopt no philosophy of science which ties
> God's hands." But I do not think any ID theorist would say that God
> must intervene to leave evidence of His existence.
>
> God does whatever He pleases. We, in turn, struggle to understand.
> What puzzles ID theorists, I think, is the astonishing willingness of
> scientists who are also theists and Christians to lay aside possible
> modes of causation a priori -- as if they knew, before looking, how God
> acted (i.e., via only so-called natural causes).
>
> Why? What could one hope to gain by having a *smaller* box of possible
> causes into which to reach, when confronted with the patterns of nature?

& I, as a Christian "methodological naturalist" struggle to
understand why Christian ID proponents cannot see that that there may be
significant _theological_ arguments for MN. Van Till's "functional
integrity" & what I've called "chiasmic cosmology" are 2 such examples.
I would also cite _some_ themes of Luther, Pascal, Barth, & Bonhoeffer
as contributing to them (though I am am not simply trying to coopt these
people as modern MNs). The idea that God voluntarily limits his action
to what can be accomplished through natural processes (which are God's
creation) is what Barbour (_Religion in an Age of Science_) calls a
"kenotic" view of divine action, & it seems to me that it can be firmly
grounded in a theology of the cross. (Note that the word _kenosis_
comes from Phil2:5-11!)
Now our theology & our philosophy of science influence one
another. Certainly the successes of science have encouraged theologians
to incorporate something like MN - cf. Bonhoeffer's references to
Weizsacker. But this is a matter of encouraging a theme already in the
theological tradition, not an alien idea. & in turn, such a theology
suggests that we should encourage science to understand the world as
thoroughly as possible without explicit reference to God.

> But please: no more sermons about the necessity of methodological
> naturalism.
This is precisely the problem. ID proponents seem curiously
unwilling to wrestle with the theological questions involved here.
Maybe they need to hear some _sermons_ - not lectures about a scientific
or philosophical need for naturalism, but an adequate proclamation of
the God revealed in Christ crucified as the creator. A sermon on
Is.45:15 would be in order.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy