Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 08:33:14 +0000
To: Don Page <don@phys.ualberta.ca>
From: "Phillip E. Johnson" <philjohn@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Theism and Science
Cc: asa@calvin.edu

Don --

I accept that admonition (below) in the friendly spirit in which it is
offered. I do need to tell you, however, that my audiences would find it
hilarious that theistic evolutionists are offering me advice on apologetic
strategy, on the apparent premise that their own approach is successful in
converting unbelievers and in keeping Christian college students from
sliding into naturalistic thinking. Indeed, one of the things those
audiences have learned is that the thinking behind that phrase "God of the
gaps" comes straight out of naturalistic metaphysics. See the writings I
have previously cited for further explanation, and especially Chapter 5 of
Reason in the Balance.

This leads me to offer a counter-admonition, in the form of a question.
Are you sure that thestic evolutionists have been careful not to give the
impression that God is *forbidden* to "intervene" (i.e., do anything more
than watch from a distance) in the course of evolutionary history?

Phil Johnson