Flood deposits?

Allen Roy (allen@InfoMagic.com)
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 23:00:03 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Glenn Morton wrote:

>I am particularly interested in where the animals which made the burrows,
>and tracks hid from the several thousand feet of sediment which were
>pouring down on top of them. In the Williston Basin, there is 15000 feet
>of sedimentary rock. If all this was deposited over a one year period,
>this means sedimentation rate = 15,000/365 = 41 feet per day= 1.7 feet per
>hour.

I guess I'm not being very clear in presentating my concept of the Flood
as not being one monsterous, homogenous mess, but rather as being a
catastrophe composed of thousands of events that occure in sequence fairly
rapidly.

> The real point is how did the molluscs, brachyopods, gastropods and other
> relatively immobile species survive to re-colonize upper horizons in the
> same area? How are thousands of brachs, gastropods etc able to climb 1.7
> feet per hour, day after day and never be
> be found all at the bottom of the geologic column, yet they are found
> throughout.

The notion of re-colonization is interpretation. Perhaps a tidal surge or
tsnumai (one of thousands) swept across a shallow area and picked up a
large load of rocks and soil and a bunch of molluscs, etc.. Then, when
the wave lost energy, perhaps in a deeper area or when in collision with
other waves, the water became saturated and quickly dumped its load.

This way you don't have to speculate such sillyness as immobile animals
scrambling upward to escape burial. And yet you can get them deposited at
every level in the sedementary record.

Allen Roy
Grand Canyon Creationary Geology Tours, see:
http://www.tagnet.org/anotherviewpoint/