Re: Intelligent design vs. natural selection

Pattle Pun (Pattle.P.Pun@wheaton.edu)
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 16:41:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Loren Haarsma wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Pattle Pun wrote:
>
> > One of the ways by which intelligent design theory can be tested is by
> > way of following the patterns of sequence homologies of macromolecules
> > that cannot be accommodated by the the monophyletic assumption of the
> > comment descent hypothesis, but rather by a polyphyletic lineage with a
> > common pattern (or "design"). Preliminary evidence has already indicated
> > that the three distinct "urkingdoms" of Archea, Bacteria, and Eukarya have
> > unique patterns within themselves such as rRNA, RNA polymerase, Cell
> > Walls, Lipid compositions, and translational machineries. Current models
> > of forcing these data into monophyletic interpretation are farfetched.
>
> Ummm ... are there any empirical models we can use to
> quantify "farfetched"?

One of the Phylip's programs on Protein distance or DNA distance can be
used as a first step to evaluate the relative distances of all
macromolecules in a sequence "pattern" to see if the pattern really
exists.

> > > Loren Haarsma

Dr. Pattle Pun
Professor of Biology